11.11.2010

I just thought, for those of you who think I'm gone...

... that I might write a little something here.

I am updating very, very regularly at http://sisterabe.tumblr.com. Too much, almost.

So, here is my life in a nutshell:

I'm in that frenzy again - trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life, where I would like life to take me, etc. I think I explained it best to my co-worker Rebecca tonight. She suggested that I apply for one of the management positions that Heine Brothers has open. This was flattering, believe me. I explained that I'd like to be living somewhere other than Louisville by May, so taking a job like that would be a little... not very nice.

When she asked why, I had to explain that my skin is crawling with a desire to move. I'm not talking "move" like from my home to a new home. I'm talking that figurative "move." The kind of "moving" I'm talking about is the kind that triple-dog-dares you to get out of your comfort zone. And, knowing that I am stuck here, in this so-called profession of serving coffee, etc., to the community immediately surrounding me (which I sort of like, but it's not my niche) makes it too hard to ignore this skin-crawl-inducing-triple-dog-dare. How's that for a phrase?

So here I am again. Except I have the whole world at my hands. Where can I go? What can I study? What do I want to do for the REST of my LIFE? Do I want to pursue something that looks glorious but can provide a long, hard road between myself and this gloriousness? Do I want to choose something less glorious that might be easier to obtain? I flip-flop daily. Putting my finger down on something only makes me consider even more options.

So here are my lists.

Places to go!

  • Denver, CO - because Lynsey and Mike live there! And MOUNTAINS! And cold weather!
  • Austin, TX - because apparently it's just a bigger, better Louisville with more opportunity...
  • New York, NY - because I feel like it's a challenge that I can conquer, and living in New York is something that is either loathed or loved, and I think I might love it?
  • San Diego, CA - because I have imagined myself on the West Coast for some really weird reason... and this seems like the most affordable big city out that way...
  • Any suggestions welcomed ;)
Things to learn!

  • Marketing - Recently I've been thinking this might be good for me... I've had some decent ideas at work and I feel like I could generate more? But, I'm not really into selling things I don't believe in. This makes it hard.
  • Photo-journalism - It's more of a dream that I might be successful at photo-journalism. I hear from people (okay, one person who is always a Debbie Downer) that there aren't many stable jobs in this area, and that alone is scary enough to cause me to not be totally gung-ho about it.
  • Journalism - It's something I kind of ruled out for a while. But could I be specific and say that I love to write about things that I love - i.e. travelling, music, and lately soccer/futball. I tend to research things to an extent where it seems I've been immersed in the culture for years. But, as the last career choice I listed has the same cons, I'm not so confident I won't be living in a box in Brooklyn, Austin or Denver.
  • I've had other ideas in the past, but these are the ones that continue to cycle through my head... What do you think I'd be successful doing?

That's a lot of stuff for one entry. I hope someone remembers I'm here!

1 comment:

  1. Nashville.

    Anyway, I could totally see you as a photo-journalist/journalist-journalist.

    ReplyDelete