3.10.2011

So here I am again, punching the air.

Each punch gets a little more soluble, though. At least I think so.

I find myself in this place once every year, I think. This last bout lasted about two years, but a major family altercation took place, as most of you know. When I was in college, the plan was to save a ton of money and go to Europe, possibly teach English somewhere in Italy, Germany, wherever that would take me. I probably would have ended up somewhere I would have been afraid of.

After I graduated I took a job in Leitchfield. This was not Europe. Then the plan became Bowling Green, then Portland, Oregon. Another failed attempt at a dream. I applied for school and everything. Then I moved back to Louisville, decided to go to seminary for music. Then dad passed away and my life changed dramatically.

Then my plan became to move to Denver! So exciting. I have friends there, it's totally dog friendly, the cost of living is similar to Louisville, there is an MLS team, etc, etc, etc. Then, as I visited the first time around, someone asked me questions like "what other schools have you looked at?" Which made me realize I was making a quick decision.

So now I'm here, again. I want to go forward, but I don't want going forward to make me take huge steps back. So I'm forcing myself to wait. Here are my (good?) reasons.

A) I need to take the GRE.

B) I need to explore other schools. I've taken a better look at DePaul recently.

C) I want to do internships with MLS, and all of those would be out of state. That would be easier if I were living close to family because I could count on someone to help me out while I was gone.

D) I want a dog. I have wanted a dog of my own since I was about 11. If I stay here and live with a roommate, I can absolutely afford one. I'm actually in the process of adopting a Weimaraner. The whole dog thing isn't just a 'want' situation, either. At least two people have agreed that it will make my life a bit happier. I go to work, I get frustrated, I come home and stay frustrated. Who doesn't need someone in their life that will love them unless he gets rabies? haha…

E) I'm scared. I want to go go go, but I'm so scared of being alone that it hinders me from living life the way it's intended to be lived. The friends I have in Colorado are married, and they're pretty good at having friends (as most married couples are want to neglect), but I would hate to think I was intruding on their lives or getting on their nerves.


This is officially too long. I'll say this: I'm not ruling out a move to Colorado. I never would. It's the #5 happiest state in the nation. Clearly it's still an option. But for now, I'm staying put. I'm going to set goals and deadlines and I WILL go somewhere. I will. I have to.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Abe. You do what you have to. We'll be here for a while, you can always come when you feel it's right (or visit if you don't think its right). And we will love, support, and send you encouragement to do your thang. Love you.

    ReplyDelete